Ruben Elkerbout partner
Ruben is an all-round highly recommended competition law expert who acts on the full range of EU and Dutch competition law issues. Ruben has extensive experience in cartel and merger control proceedings before the Dutch Competition Authority and the European Commission. He also assists clients across numerous business sectors with questions on distribution agreements, dominance and state aid. Ruben is a trusted litigator on matters of EU law and private enforcement of competition law, including cartel damages cases, and in the field of complex regulatory issues involving sector specific legislation and the allocation of scarce resources, e.g. concession contracts and airports slots.
Ruben regularly speaks at national and international conferences and has published extensively on competition issues. Ruben is recommended in the EU/Competition section of all leading legal directories, including Chambers & Partners (Band 2), Legal500, GCR and Who’s Who legal where Ruben has been included in “Thought Leaders – Competition Law 2021”, a respected peer review listing the best competition lawyers in key jurisdictions and a special category of competition lawyers “worthy of special mention owing not only to their vast expertise and experience advising on some of the world’s most significant and cutting-edge legal matters, but also their ability to innovate, inspire, and go above and beyond to deliver for their clients” (WWL quote).
Clients praise his “high availability, rapid and clear responses and speed in understanding the issues at hand” (Chambers 2020); “extremely driven, enthusiastic and trusted adviser” (Chambers 2018); “He has a very well-developed ability to translate commercial business behaviour into a legal context and the other way around. He is good at giving concrete business examples and making it easy to understand complex competition matters” (Chambers 2017); “Highly recommended” (Legal 500 2017); “Rising star” (Legal500 2016); “A pragmatic lawyer, excellent litigator and great strategist” (Chambers 2015); “Practical and solution-driven” (Legal500 2015); “He is very client-friendly and knows how to work with difficult people” (Chambers 2014): “bright, innovative and results-focused”; “Praised for his robust knowledge of all competition and EU law issues. Clients cite his “pragmatic and clear advice” as a major advantage” (Chambers 2013); “Ruben Elkerbout is singled out by his clients for his skills in court hearings: “His knowledge of cartel law is amazing. We were very happy with his work and performance” (Chambers 2012).
- Stek advises shareholders Simpel on acquisition of Simpel by T-mobile: acquisition completed
- Stek advises shareholders Simpel on acquisition by T-Mobile
- Stek advises Mirage Retail Group in negotiations on acquisition of BCC from Fnac Darty
- Stek advises Abacus on its acquisition of Pluripharm
- Stek advises NVB: a unique step in the fight against money laundering and the financing of terrorism
- Ruben Elkerbout named Thought Leader Competition Law 2021
- Legal 500 2020: Again praise for Stek
- The 2nd Annual Meeting of the European Competition Law Association
- Legal 500 2019: Again praise for Stek
- Stek in Chambers Europe 2019
- Investor liability for cartel infringements by portfolio companies confirmed
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Antitrust Litigation – Netherlands 2018
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Antitrust Litigation – Netherlands 2017
- Mededingingsrechtelijke aspecten van online verkoopbeperkingen in exclusieve en selectieve distributiestelsels