Ruben Elkerbout partner
Ruben is an all-round highly recommended competition law expert who acts on the full range of EU and Dutch competition law issues. Ruben has extensive experience in cartel and merger control proceedings before the Dutch Competition Authority and the European Commission. He also assists clients across numerous business sectors with questions on distribution agreements, dominance and state aid. Ruben is a trusted litigator on matters of EU law and private enforcement of competition law, including cartel damages cases, and in the field of complex regulatory issues involving sector specific legislation and the allocation of scarce resources, e.g. concession contracts and airports slots.
Ruben regularly speaks at national and international conferences and has published extensively on competition issues. Ruben is recommended in the EU/Competition section of all leading legal directories, including Chambers & Partners (Band 2), Legal500, GCR and Who’s Who legal.
Clients praise his “high availability, rapid and clear responses and speed in understanding the issues at hand” (Chambers 2020); “extremely driven, enthusiastic and trusted adviser” (Chambers 2018); “He has a very well-developed ability to translate commercial business behaviour into a legal context and the other way around. He is good at giving concrete business examples and making it easy to understand complex competition matters” (Chambers 2017); “Highly recommended” (Legal 500 2017); “Rising star” (Legal500 2016); “A pragmatic lawyer, excellent litigator and great strategist” (Chambers 2015); “Practical and solution-driven” (Legal500 2015); “He is very client-friendly and knows how to work with difficult people” (Chambers 2014): “bright, innovative and results-focused”; “Praised for his robust knowledge of all competition and EU law issues. Clients cite his “pragmatic and clear advice” as a major advantage” (Chambers 2013); “Ruben Elkerbout is singled out by his clients for his skills in court hearings: “His knowledge of cartel law is amazing. We were very happy with his work and performance” (Chambers 2012).
- Stek advises Iskes on ACM investigation into Port Towage Amsterdam
- Stek advises Audax on the acquisition of Bruna
- Stek advises ING Corporate Investments and Nunner Logistics
- Stek advises Corendon Holiday Group on the envisaged sale of the tour operator and Dutch airline Corendon to Triton
- Stek successfully appeals attribution of cartel fine to managing partners
- Legal 500 2020: Again praise for Stek
- The 2nd Annual Meeting of the European Competition Law Association
- Legal 500 2019: Again praise for Stek
- Stek in Chambers Europe 2019
- Stek edits a new database of European private enforcement case summaries on Kluwer Competition Law
- Investor liability for cartel infringements by portfolio companies confirmed
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Antitrust Litigation – Netherlands 2018
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Antitrust Litigation – Netherlands 2017
- Mededingingsrechtelijke aspecten van online verkoopbeperkingen in exclusieve en selectieve distributiestelsels