Ruben Elkerbout partner
Ruben Elkerbout is partner in Stek’s Competition & Regulated Markets practice. He is a no-nonsense all-round competition expert who advises and represents his business relations across numerous sectors, e.g. aviation, transportation, leisure, maritime services and fast moving consumer goods. His specific expertise includes complex multi-jurisdictional cartel litigation, leniency, internal investigations and dawn raids. Ruben also has ample experience with various distribution systems, e-tailing, dominance, state aid procedures and merger control.
In addition, Ruben is a trusted advisor and litigator in the field of complex regulatory issues involving sector specific legislation and the allocation of scarce resources, e.g. concession contracts, permits and airports slots.
Ruben regularly provides lectures and tailored presentations to companies. Ruben is a regular contributor to the two leading competition law journals in the Netherlands and has an extensive publication record.
Ruben is recommended in the EU/Competition section in all leading legal directories, including Chambers&Partners and Legal500. Ruben has been included in Who’s Who Legal’s 2017 “Future Leaders in Competition Law”, a peer review listing the best competition lawyers worldwide under the age of 45. Ruben is one of three competition law partners in the Netherlands who has been recognised as a future leader.
“He has a very well-developed ability to translate commercial business behaviour into a legal context and the other way around. He is good at giving concrete business examples and making it easy to understand complex competition matters” (Chambers 2017); “Highly recommended” (Legal 500 2017); “Rising star” (Legal500 2016); “A pragmatic lawyer, excellent litigator and great strategist” (Chambers 2015); “Practical and solution-driven” (Legal500 2015); “He is very client-friendly and knows how to work with difficult people” (Chambers 2014): “bright, innovative and results-focused”; “Praised for his robust knowledge of all competition and EU law issues. Clients cite his “pragmatic and clear advice” as a major advantage” (Chambers 2013); “Ruben Elkerbout is singled out by his clients for his skills in court hearings: “His knowledge of cartel law is amazing. We were very happy with his work and performance” (Chambers 2012).
- Stek advises Egeria and its portfolio company Ilionx on the acquisition of a majority stake in QNH
- Stek successfully assists Corendon in summary proceedings against Schiphol
- Stek advises in the sale of Elementis Specialty chemicals
- Stek represents Transavia before the General Court
- Stek Competition Litigation team has succesfully defended Corendon
- Stek edits a new database of European private enforcement case summaries on Kluwer Competition Law
- Stek contributes to Getting The Deal Through’s Market Intelligence series – Cartels 2018
- Legal 500 2018: Again praise for Stek
- Chambers 2018: Praise for Stek
- Stek is recommended in GCR 100 and recognised in Who’s Who legal: Competition 2018
- Investor liability for cartel infringements by portfolio companies confirmed
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Antitrust Litigation – Netherlands 2018
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Antitrust Litigation – Netherlands 2017
- Mededingingsrechtelijke aspecten van online verkoopbeperkingen in exclusieve en selectieve distributiestelsels