The healthcare sector has been in transition for at least the last ten years. As an investor or market player in the sector, changes in the Dutch healthcare system present both significant challenges and opportunities for healthcare organisations. Complex financing flows, price pressure, and regulation changes demand change within healthcare organisations, as well. Whether you need help with joint ventures, financing, a merger or acquisition, corporate governance, contact with authorities, or privacy issues, our Healthcare Team are your go-to attorneys for healthcare expertise.
“Their work is of the same quality as a big law firm, but they are more client-oriented. I have the feeling that our interests always come first.”
The Healthcare Team is a multidisciplinary team of attorneys drawn from Stek’s wide range of practice groups. Our integrated approach allows us to effectively respond to your individual needs and help you find the best way to meet your goals. Because our team members have been active in the healthcare sector for many years, handling the industry’s unique challenges, we understand the issues you are facing. That is why we are perfectly placed to guide you through this process to find the solution that is right for you.
What makes us different
What makes the Stek Healthcare Team different:
- Expertise in a wide range of disciplines;
- Every team member has years of experience in the healthcare sector (care and cure);
- Short lines of communication and responsiveness;
- An enterprising, creative approach;
- Decisive, individual, expert advice; and
- Accessible top quality at competitive rates.
Partnerships, joint ventures, and mergers & acquisitions
Consolidations in the healthcare sector are becoming increasingly common and include a range of transactions, from launching joint ventures to mergers and acquisitions with healthcare providers, suppliers, or other links in the healthcare chain. We have a wealth of experience with transactions in the healthcare sector that includes healthcare providers and medical device suppliers as well as suppliers for healthcare providers and others.
Whether it’s a large hospital or smaller healthcare provider, new external financing is often necessary, or existing financing may require a revamp, thanks to new joint ventures or mergers between healthcare institutions. Our team members have a long track record in assisting financing transactions, specifically in the healthcare sector, and working on behalf of both banks/lenders and healthcare institutions.
Competition and Regulated Markets
In the healthcare sector, cooperation is essential. Rules and regulations, however, often limit collaborative opportunities. Healthcare mergers and acquisitions are subject to strict merger control regulations and often require prior clearance from the Authority for Consumers & Markets (ACM) and the Dutch Healthcare Authority (NZa). Market knowledge and insight into regulatory procedures is key to crafting better cooperation agreements and ensuring smooth procedures with regulators. Our team offers that knowledge, which guarantees outstanding support around:
- Unannounced inspections by the ACM or NZa;
- Sanction procedures before the ACM or the NZa and subsequent procedures in the administrative courts;
- Assessing cooperation agreements or joint ventures with respect to cartel rules (self-assessment) or merger control;
- Notifying mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures to the ACM and NZa.
Take a look at the overview of our previous activities below or our track record to get a better idea of the multidisciplinary legal support our healthcare team can provide:
- Offering advice on hospital financing (to the bank(s) or the hospital);
- Assisting DentConnect in acquiring multiple practices in the dental sector;
- Assisting Mathot Medische Speciaalzaken in acquiring Dantuma Medische Speciaalzaken, a medical device company, from Stichting Kwadrantgroep;
- Assisting Dutch biopharmaceutical and vaccine manufacturer Synco Bio Partners in the sale of their operations to Wacker Chemie AG and helping them draft multiple commercial contracts;
- Assisting a major healthcare institution in the sale of several medical device companies;
- Assisting a major American player in the medical device development and sales sector in acquiring a Dutch obesity clinic and a diabetes-related clinic;
- Assisting a large home-care institution with multiple sales and acquisitions;
- Assisting with regulatory merger notification procedures in the mental health (GGZ) sector, the healthcare, nursing, and home care (VVT) sector and the hospital sector:
- Handling merger and acquisition notifications to the Dutch Healthcare Authority (NZa) under the healthcare-specific merger control rules. Our recent work has included the acquisition of Bios Ambulancezorg by Ambulancezorg Rotterdam-Rijnmond (Veiligheidsregio Rotterdam-Rijnmond) and multiple practice acquisitions in the dental sector by DentConnect;
- Handling merger and acquisition notifications to the Authority for Consumers & Markets (ACM) under the competition law merger control rules, including second-phase (‘license requests’) procedures for complex mergers. Examples include mergers between the only two Amsterdam University Medical Centers (Amsterdam University Medical Center and VU Medical Center), between the only two hospitals in Tilburg (TweeSteden Ziekenhuis and St. Elisabeth Ziekenhuis), and between Spaarne Ziekenhuis and Kennemer Gasthuis hospitals;
- Assessing multiple joint ventures between healthcare institutions for compliance with the cartel prohibition (self assessments);
- Providing competition law assistance to a healthcare providers during an investigation into competition regulation infringement.